18/05/2007

Autism and Interdependence

One of the biggest problems for people with disabilities, particularly those with a learning disability like autism is the limited opportunity for social inclusion. Here's a poem I've written about it.

INTERDEPENDENCE
Strangers are Friends Waiting To Happen

Jean Shaw ©2007

Inclusion isn't easy, there's steps we all must make
It requires co-operation, a bit of give and take
People make assumptions based on what they see
So being part of my community is hard for one like me

First you must be present, be seen around the place
So you can have a presence, become a familiar face
But in order to participate, get involved like fellow "brothers"
To interact, feel comfortable, requires the help of others

Inclusion isn't easy, I can't do it on my own
My learning disability means I can't be left alone
I need support, a network, friends and family who agree
They're there for just one reason - they want the best for me

Everyone has a right to life, do the things they like to do
Just because I have a problem doesn't mean I'm less than you
Known as Interdependence, natural help, support and aid
To someone who's disabled such a difference it has made

So if you see me out sometime don't just stare and let things end
For if you really got to know me - Who knows? – We could be friends
Inclusion isn't easy, there's steps we all must make
It requires co-operation, a bit of give and take

For more on autism visit http://www.jeanshaw.com

No comments: