10/05/2007

Time - Use It Wisely

Last night I rushed around shopping, cleaning and doing all sorts so that today I would be free to do the things I really "had to do".

The day started well enough. I got up early, sent my autistic son off to school and started on those oh so important tasks.

Then my dad turned up.

He had twelve runner bean plants which he wanted to put in my garden so I stopped what I was doing and went with him.

My intention was to quickly sort out some bamboo sticks for the beans to climb up and then get on with what I'd thought so vital. However, I ended up sorting out the rotorvator, hoeing the garden, pulling up stinging nettles and generally helping my dad to tidy the garden up.

He's not been in the best of health. He'll be eighty this year. He's had a hip replacement, has arthritis, angina and is just recovering from prostate cancer but remains as cheerful and active as possible.

He likes to keep busy but I didn't like the idea of him doing too much manual work on his own so I stayed to help.

And you know what? – It was brilliant!

I didn't get any of my chores done but I did get to spend several hours with my dad outside in the fresh air.

Today may not have gone as I'd planned but I couldn't have been happier.

The jobs I needed to do will still be there tomorrow but I can't guarantee my dad will.

Time is the one thing we can't replace. Use it wisely!

No comments: